On 25/02/16 08:59, Kent Fredric wrote:
> On 25 February 2016 at 21:02, Consus <con...@gmx.com> wrote:
>> Well, we do have one
>>
>> https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/log/dev-lang/perl
>>
>> I bet folks want to check out what's new in their local copy of
>> Portage tree.
>

> With a custom, portage oriented, on-demand log generator you could
>  produce a lot more detail ( and in a text format that doesn't
> require a web browser to view ) , and potentially use
> understanding of portage conventions to generate change data
> outside those explicitly stated.
>
> Though that would be a "later feature" you could potentially bolt
> on after the main logic was sorted out.
>
> The idea being you could request a changelog for a package with a
> list of "interest aspects" and have the log reduced to changes
> that affect those interests.
>
> For instance, you could do :
>
> curl http://thing.gentoo.org/changes/dev-lang/perl?arch=~x86
>
> And with a bit of effort, you could generate a changelog that is
> only relevant for somebody who is on ~x86, eliding changes that
> x86 didn't get yet.
>
> For instance, an ~x86 filter would elide stabilizations for ~x86,
> because you don't care about stabilizations if you're assuming
> ~arch. ( And it would elide changes that were only visible for
> other arches )
>
> And this filter wouldn't necessarily be implemented in "grep for
> keywords in the commit message", but *analyse the change in the
> directory* based, which would give the ability to do things that
> would otherwise only be possible with a git clone.

This idea is quite neat - you could do either some basic User-Agent
check and either render a web page for viewing online for changes, or
even have a specifier that gave you some other output options .. eg.
ChangeLog (rev. chron) or basic web or XML or JSON which you could
then post-process if you desired.

I know this is kind of bloating the idea, but the flexibility and such
would make it Really Useful .. I think, anyhow ...

MJE