On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 6:06:35 PM CEST, Richard Yao wrote:

That is unless you put per-system state in /usr/local, do symlinks to it
in / and mount /usr/local as part of system boot, which is the other way
of doing this. I have seen a variant of this done in asuswrt-merlin on
routers.

This doesnt seem to have anything to do with what I was describing.

Another option I'm using a lot is nfsroot. This doesn't have the same level of flexibility: running multiple hosts with nfsroot and thus shared /etc/fstab tends to be annoying.

See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove for a more complete
discussion.

That does not address the problems of supporting this configuration in a
rolling release.

Formats in /etc can fall out of sync with software in /usr. If boot
options change, the stuff in /etc/init.d is not updated. If you add
software, the update to /etc/init.d is omitted. If you have a baselayout
change, it is not propagated.

Ever heard of CONFIG_PROTECT ? :) What you describe is already what happens and what most people want.