On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 7:41 AM, Luca Barbato <lu_z...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 05/04/16 03:19, William Hubbs wrote:
>> Thoughts on any of this?
>
> The whole usr-merge moves the problem of putting stuff in / to putting
> the very same stuff in the initrd when something different from busybox
> (or equivalent) is needed to get the early boot mounting.
>
> Do we have a reliable way to address this now?

Put the very same stuff in the initramfs?  Most initramfs creation
scripts should already do this automatically, and with compat symlinks
even those that don't probably will still end up doing it anyway..

Apologies if I missed the point of your question.  Are you looking for
a solution OTHER than an initramfs?  I imagine somebody could stick
some kind of wrapper on /, but in general if you want /usr not on the
root filesystem with a /usr merge you're going to have to jump through
hoops if you're not using an initramfs.  If you want a more
traditional configuration where / is used to mount /usr then a merged
/usr probably isn't for you.

--
Rich