On 05/08/2016 07:07 PM, Kent Fredric wrote:
> On 9 May 2016 at 05:03, Alexis Ballier <aball...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> I was under the impression that merging is needed in order to preserve
>> commit signatures when e.g. merging someone else's work.
>

> Correct, but if the person applying the commits to tree is in fact
> reviewing them as they go, then the fact they re-sign it with their
> own signature
> ( and changing the commits "Committed by" in the process ) pretty much
> means the chain of custody is preserved.

And it is a requirement in particular in the case where the author is
not a gentoo dev as the certificate used for the signature otherwise
isn't recognized. The committing developer will need to have a local
framework in place for certificate validation to ensure that the author
is authentic, after that the committing author is responsible for all
behavior of the commit.

--
Kristian Fiskerstrand
OpenPGP certificate reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net