On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 7:40 PM, Aaron Bauman <b...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Please enlighten me as to what was impolite here?  The strong language of
> "seriously" or definitively stating that the individual did not perform the
> necessary QA actions before committing?

He actually didn't "state" anything at all - he posted a set of
rhetorical questions.  And the use of "seriously" was inflammatory.
In fact, if you're trying to avoid injecting passion into a discussion
it is worth thinking carefully about just about any word ending in
"ly" that you put into a sentence.  Nine times out of ten the word
isn't necessary and can cause more harm than good.

> Both of which are completely called
> for and appropriate.  No vulgarity, insults, or demeaning words were used.

I disagree.  The tone was uncivil and demeaning.

> How would you have responded professionally?

How about this:

You inserted this code snippet into the middle of a command line, so
it is certain to break in either case.  This should have been detected
during testing; please be sure to test changes to ebuilds/eclasses
before committing them.  Additionally eclass changes should be
submitted to the lists for review in any case prior to being
committed.

Or by all means refer the issue to QA/Comrel if you want to escalate it.

I'm in no way suggesting that we should accept bad commits.  IMO when
we see bad commits we should:

1.  Just point them out politely if it is a one-off.  ANYBODY can make
a mistake.
2.  If they're a trend or show signs of bad practices like not testing
changes then escalate to QA/Comrel.
3.  Let QA/Comrel do their job and block commit access or refer the
dev for more mentoring/etc as appropriate.  Then we actually fix the
problem instead of just yelling at each other.

--
Rich