On Tue, 17 May 2016 13:07:43 +0530
Pallav Agarwal <pallavagarwa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Tests run in src_test are provided by upstream, and does not
> guarantee that a package that has been merged will actually run on
> the system. If the maintainer could add a couple small scripts to
> check basic functionality of the merged package, it would make
> testing for arch testers much easier and reliable.

Automated post-merge tests sound kinda dangerous to me. And I don't
think there's any stipulation about src_test() only running
upstream-provided test suites. IMHO, src_test() would be a good place
for most of the maintainter-provided tests you have in mind.

Of course, there are some possible tests for which the src_test()
environment isn't suitable (because they're either interactive or
really need to run post-merge), I just don't expect there'd be many of
them. Therefore, I think we'd be better off providing such tests
out-of-band (test plans in the wiki), or perhaps stuffing them into
pkg_config().

Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all opposed to your idea of easing the
ATs' life, I'm just not convinced of the neccessity of EAPI changes. :)

--
Regards,
Luis Ressel

Luis Ressel <ara...@aixah.de>
GPG fpr: F08D 2AF6 655E 25DE 52BC  E53D 08F5 7F90 3029 B5BD