On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 9:11 PM, Joshua Kinard <ku...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Whether the idea is useful in the present day and age, eh, who knows.  For the
> mips-sources ebuilds, eblits let me centralize the per-machine notes and
> unpacking logic, which reduced each ebuild's size from ~18KB a few years ago
> down to ~4.9KB today.

It sounds pretty useful to me.  I've seen eclasses used by a single
package or two at most and full of conditional logic to handle all the
times upstream changed their distribution scheme.  Eblits sound a
whole lot better.

Since they're limited in scope there isn't really a need for list
review/etc, and they can be created/deleted/etc at will.

I wouldn't use them just to turn every 50 line ebuild into a 10 line
ebuild, but when you have substantial amounts of code re-used across
ebuilds refactoring it just makes sense.

What I would love to see is this be standardized.  An eclass or a GLEP
seems like the logical approach.

--
Rich