On 06/04/2016 04:03 PM, M. J. Everitt wrote:

> LOL - that still happens?!

Yeah, at least in the U.S. There was a "PHP 6", but everything went so
wrong that they decided to just pretend that the number 6 doesn't exist.

> I still see php5 installed as stable everywhere .. so perhaps php7 still
> has a little way to go (not that I would be *so* stupid to suggest that
> something like 'debian' was a barometer of such things, nooo..!!!)

We've still got 5.x stable, but that's because there's a security bug
for PHP every 20 days and it takes 30 days to stabilize an ebuild.

Here's a status report:

  * We've got the "eselect php..." stuff sorted out already so you can
    easily switch between 5.6 and 7.0 on-the-fly.

  * Most extensions have a version that works with php-7.0.

  * Some PECL extensions only work with certain versions of PHP, yet are
    not slotted. This will probably cause some headaches, but it's
    pretty late in the game and I don't have the time to overhaul the
    way we do extensions at the last minute. We may have to tell people
    that they can't switch between php-5 and php-7 with certain
    extensions (there are around 8 that cause problems).

  * The PHP upgrade itself is pretty harmless. Check your logs for
    deprecation warnings. If there aren't any, you can probably just
    switch to 7.0 with eselect and have everything work. It's a lot
    faster and a bit less stupid than previous versions.

In any case, to bring this back on-topic, dev-lang/php now has a webp
USE flag too, so +1 for making it global.