> I'm not totally convinced yet.
> Following the BCP-47 spec the format is

> Language-Tag  = langtag             ; normal language tags
> langtag       = language
>                   ["-" script]
>                   ["-" region]
>                   *("-" variant)
>                   *("-" extension)
>                   ["-" privateuse]

> So using the language ca, region es, and variant valencia, the
> BCP-47 language tag is ca-es-valencia (or ca-valencia if you omit
> the region).

Right. Or rather, ca-ES-valencia for the former, because all caps are
preferred for the region tag.

> POSIX.1-2008[2] as you mentioned defines a slightly different format
> for locales

> language[_territory][.codeset]

> Only LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, LC_MONETARY, LC_NUMERIC, and
> LC_TIME additionally accept specification of a modifier.

> [language[_territory][.codeset][@modifier]]

> Where territory is implementation defined and the modifier
> "select[s] a specific instance of localization data within a single
> category". Which I think does not match what we want with "valencia"
> variant of the "ca" language.

As I understand it:

1. Gettext documentation says that locale names can be LL_CC or
LL_CC@VARIANT. The natural mapping to the (implementation defined)
format mentioned by POSIX seems to be that LL, CC, and VARIANT
correspond to language, territory, and modifier, respectively.

2. Language codes are taken from ISO 639, namely the two-letter code
if one exists, otherwise the three-letter code.

3. Territory codes are taken from ISO 3166-1, usually the two-letter
country codes.

4. According to Gettext documentation, "'@VARIANT' can denote any kind
of characteristics that is not already implied by the language LL and
the country CC." (So IIUC the BCP-47 variant "valencia" would become
"@valencia".)

> Hence I think POSIX locale cannot handle Catalan Valencian, unless
> territory is made accept ISO3166-2 region subdivisions.

I haven't found any mention or usage of ISO 3166-2 region subdivisions
in the context of locale. Can you provide any references for this?

Ulrich