On Sat, 11 Jun 2016 11:09:39 +0800
konsolebox <konsole...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 11:53 PM, james <gar...@verizon.net> wrote:
> > The grandiose-ness you propose should only come upon graduating from proxy
> > school, imho.
> > user-->strong-users-->proxy-->dev pathway.
>
> Pedantic, bureaucratic, procedure-oriented, monolithic, restrictive.
> Too conservative.
>
> What matters is the contribution, and the result.  If you don't like
> how a user makes a contribution, don't accept the pull request, or
> don't merge his package.  Simple.  If you think that could turn out to
> be just a waste of time for them, help them correct their issues; add
> some documentations to enlighten them and give warnings about wrong
> practices so they don't blame anyone, and so they can decide whether
> they would want to contribute or not given the rules presented; but,
> _don't_ make the steps mandatory.  Don't make contributions
> restrictive.

You're contradicting yourself. How can improving/review of pull request
be non-mandatory, if otherwise we are to reject it? Of course, it all
depends on how you define 'mandatory'. It's not like anybody forces you
to do something, you know.

Sure, it may seem like we expect people to fix all the tiny issues with
pull requests but that's just a default profile we're assuming. Many of
the people actually *want* to do that. If you don't, you can tell us
straight ahead and we won't waste our time asking you to.

I'm also unhappy when a pull request is left open for two weeks because
we asked user to do a simple change, and he doesn't reply. I could've
fixed it myself faster but then the user would lose his chance to do
it. And the worst thing, I don't even know if he wants to!

> We do already allow people to send pull requests to
> Gentoo portage's repo in Github, but it seems like they generally only
> allow patches that fix current packages, not new features or new
> packages.

That's not true. The rules for pull requests are pretty much the same
as for bugs.

If a fix or enhancement makes sense, the maintainer can approve it or
not. Don't expect that people are going to agree with you, or consider
your contribution more correct just because you provided a patch
or a pull request. And don't expect the developer to take long-term
responsibility for changes he doesn't understand, use or approve.

As for new packages, the rules are simple -- someone has to maintain
them. Gentoo is not the kind of zero-maintenance distro where an ebuild
written once is good forever. With the very limited manpower Gentoo
has, don't expect people to just take some random package you use
and maintain it for you if they don't even have any clue what it does.

If you are not going to maintain your contribution, we can't guarantee
it will be accepted. I'm certainly not interested in having to worry
about 20 more maintainer-needed packages next month because someone
contributed an ebuild that seemed good enough.

In this case, less is better than more. A really bad thing is to
provide something new just to have it removed (or became useless)
in a month or so.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny