On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 6:09:38 AM JST, Rich Freeman wrote:
On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 4:40 PM, Andrew Savchenko <birc...@gentoo.org> wrote:
The same applies for the tree-cleaners team. While their job is
very important, sometimes they are too hasty, like in commit
34181a1045d13142d959b9c894a46ddcebf3c512. If package builds and
works fine, have no critical bugs opened, the sheer fact that
upstream as inactive and package has no maintainer is no valid to ...

++

To treeclean a package it should be both unmaintained and have a
significant QA issue of some kind.  Simply having open bugs shouldn't
be sufficient, and of course if it works fine there is no reason to
boot it.  Now, if the package is a blocker on some EAPI retirement or
other tree-wide operation, that would be a great reason to treeclean
it if it is unmaintained.

Security issues should warrant masking fairly easily, but only if the
maintainer is unresponsive or the package is unmaintained (or we're
talking an end-of-the-world security issue).  If the maintainer is
about to commit a fix or disputes that the issue applies in the
package, it is best to just work with them.  Otherwise users will just
end up putting entries in package.unmask that could cause them issues
later.

That is exactly what happened here. We worked with Anthony following the p.mask, and we have always done so with all packages that resulted in a mask. Often, it simply highlights to the maintainer that a security issue is outstanding and needs attention. It also protects the user regardless of the vulnerabilities severity. Sometimes this a failure on upstream, which also raises additional concerns if multiple vulnerabilities exist. In this particular case the issues were outstanding for years.

Most developers coordinate very well with us regarding their packages. Sometimes that involves relocation of sources upstream, reversioning upstream, etc. While we try to resolve it on our own, the expertise of the developer on that package is a tremendous asset in ensuring the package is no longer vulnerable. We even patch or verify source code changes ourselves to resolve bugs.

In regards to the media-video/motion mask, you can follow up with the bug and see the continued efforts. Users have responded with relocated sources that have a fix for the package. Something that only familiarity or endless digging would bear fruit on. We are actively working to mitigate the vulnerability and get the package unmasked for the community. We are not just trying to kill things to kill them.

The subject of this particular mailing list post is a little alarming and over reactive. We are not running around p.masking everyone's packages, but issues that have been outstanding for years often result in such courses of action. I personally told Anthony I should have requested his assistance initially on the matter, and I do apologize for that. He is an active developer who would respond in a timely manner. So once again, I do apologize.

Finally, that does not dissolve the developer of providing usable, substantiated, and verifiable information regarding the vulnerabilities. The idea that a developer gets to choose whether or not they do so should not be considered. Anthony's verbiage on Freenode was very frank, in that if he chose to do so he would. We ask for all developers to assist and work together with us to fix these issues. You can see the fruits of such information from the developer following Alex Legler's comments on the bug and my follow up actions.

-Aaron