On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 2:51 PM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
<chith...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I'm sorry for harping on that topic again, but if we had used grobian's
> initial proposal for git migration[0] - one repository per package, and the
> portage tree would be an aggregation of those - then we could have such a
> thing basically for free now.

Not really.  Unless you planned to never delete old versions of
packages from the tree.  Also, if you remove a package from the tree
you'd need to ensure that its repository didn't later disappear, or
that people could actually find it.

That design also has other problems, like a lack of consistency across
the tree.  If one package syncs and another one doesn't, maybe you get
things that don't work.  And heaven help the guy trying to do a
tree-wide change.  Just as with cvs there would be no association with
a change in one package with a change in another.

It wasn't a bad idea, but in the end the pros didn't seem worth the
cons.  I definitely wouldn't do it just so that I didn't have to run
git log to find a deleted ebuild.

--
Rich