Ühel kenal päeval, T, 09.08.2016 kell 12:02, kirjutas Jason Zaman:
> On Sun, Aug 07, 2016 at 04:37:23PM +0200, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> > El dom, 07-08-2016 a las 09:07 -0400, NP-Hardass escribió:
> > >  [...]
> > > Well, that's easily remedied with an alias for the project that
> > > contains
> > > all the subprojects, no?
> > >

> > But I don't know if the projects will like to behave in that way...
> > because freedesktop-bugs was behaving exactly in that way and,
> > during
> > the transition, it was agreed to stop using that and simply CC the
> > right projects when needed :/
> >
> > From my point of view we should simply kill that "Desktop" project
> > as
> > it serves no purpose and CC the relevant projects when needed, as I
> > don't recall many cases of the old freedesktop-bugs behaving in the
> > way
> > you are suggesting (involving *all* desktop related projects in the
> > bug
> > reports). On the other hand it was ending up with most people under
> > the
> > subprojects simply ignoring the bug reports assigned to
> > freedesktop-
> > bugs
>
> Removing it is fine. I'm in the freedesktop and Xfce projects and I
> had
> no idea this Desktop project even existed.
> Pretty sure everyone would just ignore anything from/to it anyway.
> Problems with eg KDE and Xfce are mostly not really related. And the
> few
> things that are related are more core components that are under
> freedesktop (polkit/consolekit etc). In which case, that component is
> fixed without needing to bother every single other project or we just
> CC
> them all if need be.

It should be kept for the purposes of coordination between different
specific desktop projects and the grouping of them it provides as
subprojects.
However that doesn't mean it should have any packages in the tree that
the desktop projects maintains itself personally, instead of one of its
subprojects.

One of my gentoo plans, when I have time, has been in reviving such
desktop-wide coordinations, possibly under the desktop project banner.
E.g my started USE=gui and toolkit threads when I had time.

Frankly, it would be weird to not have a project that broadly manages
all the desktop stuff.
We should manage this all better under a broad desktop project that
manages documentation, some policies, etc, but doesn't necessarily have
any packages that it maintains in tree.

If we need a new lead election per GLEP 39, I'm sure we have some
volunteers from the subprojects to throw their name in, that are
interested in having a good desktop-wide organization going on. Myself
included.

Mart