Ühel kenal päeval, N, 11.08.2016 kell 18:00, kirjutas Mike Gilbert:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 5:34 PM, Kent Fredric <ken...@gentoo.org>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 16:07:27 -0400
> > Ian Stakenvicius <a...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >
> > > but realistically this should be
> > > installed to /usr/$(get_libdir)/debiancompat/ or similar, and if
> > > you
> > > still don't want to wrap the apps that need it then also install
> > > an
> > > /etc/env.d/ file to add this dir to the LDPATH.
> >
> > +1 to this. I was going to suggest something similar.
> >
> > At least, because I'm still thinking in a view other than "steam",
> > and
> > anticipating "Maybe we're going to do more of this"
> >
> > If more than one binary application need more than one debian hack,
> > stuffing all the debian hacks in a special prefix that everyone can
> > use
> > without polluting the main gentoo stuff is an advantage.
> >
> > ( And the separate dir makes it clear what the library is for and
> > why
> > its there if anyone is trying to weed out some library problem that
> > still manages to happen despite our attempts )
>
> I also like the private libdir better than installing a symlink in a
> "standard" libdir.

The question is really why, still.
I only see some sort of tidyness arguments, but it's not exactly tidy
to clobber ld.so.conf either, so I don't consider this a real argument.

If you install a proprietary package from their .tar.bz2 or Loki .sh
installer or whatever, the user will not know to install some libpcre-
debian package.
Also, again, PCRE2 is there. Soon dev-libs/libpcre:3 (libpcre-8.*) is
primarily a binary package satisfier anyways, so why not just satisfy
libpcre.so.3 while at it. Funny fact - we have it in SLOT=3 too :)

Ultimately I don't care personally as a gentoo user, as I will know to
install this useless symlink package. Maybe, if I remember. And only
because of a 10+ thread. But our users are uselessly bothered when they
actually need it by something.
They ought to be able to choose to not care, and have shit working out
of the box. This is providing a very important choice, in the spirit of
Gentoo.

Mart