Strict compliance with the handbook would seem to forbid having a stable
package depend on an unstable package, and if you have to downgrade a
dependency and it causes a cascade, I would opine, that, perhaps, the
package in question should not have been stabilized to begin with.

That said, I as a user have noticed that packages tend to stall in
stabilization for awhile.

What about a script that can rank ~arch keyworded packages by some sort of
priority?

Maybe point out which one has the most reverse dependencies?  Or which one
has been stuck in ~arch the longest?  Or some sort of scoring mechanism
that can flag the most urgently needed stabilizations?

Come to think of it, I think debian has a system that flags the most
popular packages.  Does gentoo have a way to note what packages are most
important?