On 08/15/2016 12:42 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 3:30 PM, Andreas K. Hüttel <dilfri...@gentoo.org>
> wrote:
>> 1) Stabilization is a simpler and much more formalized process compared to
>> normal bug resolution.
>> * There is one version to be stabilized.
>> * One precise package version
>
> Can you clarify what this means?  Do you mean that at any time only
> one version of any particular package/slot is marked stable?
>
> That seems like it would be problematic for ranged deps.  Granted,
> those are problematic in and of themselves since they can create
> conflicts that are hard to resolve.  However, this extends conflicts
> between package you might not want to install at the same time to
> situations where you don't even need both of the conflicting packages.

I believe he's just talking about a per-bug or per-stablereq basis. So
each version gets its own opportunity to have bugs surface or
stabilization issues instead of attempting to stabilize a bunch of
versions at once.

(Correct me if I'm wrong; I don't see the value of a single stable
version for each package and it would create a lot of noise in git log)

--
Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net