On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 4:17 PM, Robin H. Johnson <robb...@gentoo.org>
wrote:

> Over the years, the base-system package herd has grown in size. Today
> it comprises 320 packages, of which 61 of those have more than one
> maintainer. The packages with more than one maintainer I'm only
> concerned about if the other maintainer is also very busy or not
> available.
>
> Some of these packages are very niche, and while they continue to work,
> they could use a bit more attention than they get presently (you might
> only hear about them when they break and never when they work).
>
> They are generally NOT broken and in need of tree-cleaning, but are just
> lacking forward momentum (not a few bugs are reasonable upstream bugs or
> feature improvements). Many were once shiny and had lots of people that
> cared, but that dwindled as they become mundane and just expected to
> work.
>
> General increase in the number of developers in base-system would not be
> a bad outcome from this email either ;-).

This...kinda touches on a side issue.  I've been a bit waylaid by RL issues
during my quest to become a developer myself, and both of my prospective
mentors had to step aside for the same reason before the process could
finish.

I'm a little slow on the quizzes and some recent changes in gentoo
invalidated some of my answers, so part of it is my fault for falling
behind.

But I was kinda wondering, is there anything that can be done to beef up
the manpower?  Is there any need to?