On Sun, 2 Oct 2016 18:18:17 +0800
konsolebox <konsole...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I should also add that a dynamic "default" that varies depending on
> the version doesn't sound good to me. For one at least, it confuses
> the user.

I agree that its a bit unintuitive.

However, the alternatives are:

- A useflag that entirely goes away depending on the version
- A useflag that is inoperative depending on the version

Neither of those are improvements.

And in both cases they're additionally messy as they require
additional logic that changes what DEPEND is based on the version.

> Also, do you think there could be a helpful case that one would
> install a non-release version of bash that compiles against the system
> readline?  Perhaps if you're also brave enough to install an
> pre-release version of readline to the system, there is.

If this scenario was the expected scenario for non-rc releases, its only
sensible that the development versions should be testing that usecase.

If for example the development versions always only tested using their bundled
readlines, and then the non-development versions always used dependencies,
then testing is somewhat pointless.

Because you're no longer testing for real world problems that would be possible
due to using systemized dependenices.( ie: stipulating a new enough version,
incompatibilities due to gentoo patching, etc )

"don't use external readline" would have to be the default of bash and
everyone would have to be being encouraged to be using it that way in order
for making the testing of that combination also a default.

Otherwise you're testing a situation that will never be a reality.