On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 10:42:43AM -0400, Tom H wrote:
> I was sharing what I do because I've overwritten a manually-edited
> grub.cfg by running grub-mkconfig/grub2-mkconfig/update-grub (re
> grub2-mkconfig, I use grub-mkconfig on Gentoo because I set
> "-multislot") more than once - and I know other sysadmins who've made
> the same mistake.

Multislot is a downstream feature that renames parts of grub-2.x to
grub2-* instead of grub-* so that grub-0.x and grub-2.x can be on the
system at the same time. My understanding is that it is there to make
switching back and forth between grub-0 and grub-2 easier . In my
opinion, the better choice is to turn it off.

William