On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 9:29 AM, Greg KH <gre...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> You can't change the text of a license and call it the same thing,

So is the objection mainly to calling it a "Developer Certificate of Origin?"

I'd think that the title of a legal document falls more under
trademark law than copyright law.  That is why the FSF publishes the
"GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE" and not just the "GENERAL PUBLIC
LICENSE."  The former has far more trademark protection than the
latter.

> which
> is why that wording is there (same wording is in the GPL), so don't
> think that by pointing at the one in the kernel source tree that changes
> anything...

The Linux Foundation published a version of their DCO under the GPL,
which we would of course abide by.  The fact that they published it
elsewhere with a different license doesn't mean that we can't re-use
the version published under the GPL.

If the FSF published the GPL under the GPL then people would be free
to redistribute modified versions of it as well.  I don't think they
would disagree with that.

> And I would _strongly_ not recomment changing the wording without
> consulting with a license lawyer, you can mess things up really quickly
> by changing stuff.

No argument there.  I don't think we're actually changing anything at
the moment.

If we aren't changing anything that does raise the question of why not
just use the Linux DCO, v1.1 or whatever it is at, incorporated by
reference.  I do think we have the legal right to fork it since it was
effectively published by the Linux Foundation under the GPL, but that
doesn't require us to fork it.

--
Rich