On Saturday, October 29, 2016 4:42:21 PM EDT M. J. Everitt wrote:

> Completely out of my depth here, but can you cross-compile a

On Gentoo yes its called crossdev[1]. You can have a build system/toolchain
for any arch you need to make an entire system or binaries for and  them over
to what ever device. Use a very powerful host system of a completely different
arch, like x86_64 to build armv7 and others.

I did this a while back to make tun/tap kernel drivers for an android system.
I also used it a very long time ago using docs in vapier's devspace[2] before
it was documented else where. That was when I got my first x86_64 system and
there were no 64bit pre-compiled kernels or livecds at the time. So I used a
i686 Gentoo system to make a x86_64 kernel.

The best part of that last story, I got kernel patches from SuperMicro because
x86_64 stuff was so new. The SuperMicro kernel patches were made against a
Gentoo kernel.

1. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Cross_build_environment
2. http://dev.gentoo.org/~vapier/CROSS-COMPILE-HOWTO

--