Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 3:07 PM, Ian Stakenvicius <a...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>
>> Realistically, software should ensure the directories it needs at
>> runtime are created through their own code, but upstreams are lazy [...]
>
> This isn't really being lazy.  This is just not re-inventing the
> wheel.

++
Conceptionally, it is also a question of efficiency and clean code
separation: Why should several independent scripts of e.g. eix first
care about directories (and force being run with root permissions...).
More important, the latter is also a security topic:

> or having
> the program run as root, create directories, and then drop privs.

eix had such code originally, but this required running quite a lot
of code with root permissions, while now running everything with
dropped permissions is possible.

One could have written an init-script only to create the
directories, but instead of providing such support for each
init system separately, it is perhaps better to use the more
standard "tmpfiles.d"

>> In those cases, we'd need that rdepend.
>
> I tend to agree with this thinking.

++
But the argument of Ian is correct: If the user has both
systemd and openrc installed (and thus virtual/tmpfiles.d
is satisfied) he would not understand why tmpfiles.d is
not processed if he starts the system with openrc.