My question was explicitly asking about profiles/, but I'll respond to
the other pieces in turn.

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 11:59:57PM +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
> I'd say keep it simple:
> - one ChangeLog for each package dir,
Already done.

> - no ChangeLog for category dirs (they contain only a single metadata.xml),
Presently implemented, but considering turning it off, because it's mostly
duplicated entries (tree-wide changes to $CAT/metadata.xml).
The rate-of-change on category dirs is very slow, and they are tiny:
92562 bytes over 163 files (mean is 567 bytes). See below for more size on what
happens if they get collapsed to the top-level.

> - one ChangeLog for each first-level subdir other than categories
>   (i.e. eclass, licenses, profiles, etc.),
Already done, just querying if profiles/ needs more ChangeLog detail.

> - top-level ChangeLog for anything not covered by the other ChangeLogs.
Other than the per-category changelogs, here's the size

Here's the size of the non-category non-package changelogs, with splitting to
all top-levels.
    127 scripts/ChangeLog-2016
   1266 metadata/ChangeLog-2016
   1929 ChangeLog-2016
  11987 licenses/ChangeLog-2016
 198021 eclass/ChangeLog-2016
 362733 profiles/ChangeLog-2016

If we collapse to have:
- per-package
- major top-levels: eclass/, profile/, licenses/
- (everything else)
Then we get:
  11972 licenses/ChangeLog-2016
  12941 ChangeLog-2016
 196905 eclass/ChangeLog-2016
 362040 profiles/ChangeLog-2016

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Trustee & Treasurer