On 12/03/2016 07:00 AM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
> On Saturday, December 3, 2016 8:59:09 AM EST Michał Górny wrote:
>> On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 23:26:53 -0800
>>
>> Daniel Campbell <z...@gentoo.org> wrote:

>>> What is a pure dependency? Do we handle those differently than the
>>> garden-variety dependencies in other packages?
>>
>> It is a package that is rarely installed directly, and rather commonly
>> taken as a dependency of another package. For example, packages that
>> install no programs and just Perl/Python/... modules.
>
> Keep in mind some will emerge libraries dependencies for their own projects
> and development. They do not always have to be merged as a dependency of
> another package.
>
> It might be confusing to know when it is acceptable to use mixed case and not.

I think Michał was talking strictly in the case of a library being
pulled in as a dependency, e.g. program A is depending on library B, but
library B is so specialized that it doesn't really get pulled in
manually. When emerging program A, library B is pure. When emerging
library B deliberately, it becomes the target package.

(If I have this wrong please correct me, Michał. Also forgive me if the
glyph for the last letter in your name is wrong.)

--
Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net