On 04/12/16 22:55, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
> (OT accounting systems)
>
> On Sun, Dec 04, 2016 at 01:10:16PM -0500, james wrote:
>> GNUcash is superior to Quickbooks, as it is a 'double entry' accounting
>> system. Last time I check Quickbooks was not 'double entry' and that is
>> a big deal in accounting.
> QuickBooks is double-entry, and has been for a very long time; It did
> used to obscure the fact before, to make accounting 'easier' for
> non-accounting people to understand.
>
> For the Foundation, I'm presently using Ledger-CLI [1], but this is a
> hurdle for any third-party financial auditing (we should be prepared at
> all times for a real financial audit), because they want data in
> quickbooks format.
>
> If there is a good GNUCash support for non-profit accounting (which does
> differ from small-business accounting, see [2]), and matching
> documentation for it, I'm VERY interested to know about it.
>
> Why Ledger? The Software Freedom Conservancy started a project aimed at
> Non-Profit accounting [3], wrapped around Ledger, which covers far more
> of the non-profit nuances than GNUCash does.
>
> They included enough documentation in how to specifically configure
> Ledger for non-profit usage, so it was easy to get going since I already
> used Ledger for my personal accounting.
>
> Ledger being plain-text based does work very well with version control,
> even for multiple parties (I enlisted help to convert old bank
> statements).
>
> [1] http://www.ledger-cli.org/
> [2] http://www.accountingcoach.com/nonprofit-accounting/explanation/1
> [3] https://sfconservancy.org/npoacct/

I gather both Quickbooks and Sage have a more modular approach to
"proper" accounting software applicable to small and large businesses. I
know my mother used Quickbooks in the past with good success and the
support of her accountant, but Sage is known to be equally accessible. I
would imagine there is an appropriate version for not-for-profit or
charities, perhaps you can seek advice with the person(s) already
contacted for accounting/finance purposes?!