On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 10:45 AM, Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 10:27 AM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.ever...@iee.org> wrote:
>>
>> I do, but only usually if its the last package of an emerge because
>> otherwise its lost many many thousands of lines upwards. Thank goodness
>> for portage's savelog feature. - Actually that reminds me .. someone
>> mentioned a useful tweak to that, with an appropriate FEATURES switch,
>> it would categorise the output of the logging system .. must look that
>> one up again, or poke the wiki team .......
>>

> IMO, emailing elogs to root should probably be the default.  By all
> means let people turn it off, but I bet a lot of people don't realize
> it is an option.

Having just looked at portage's mail code, you can't use the mail
subsystem if you have no mailserver or sendmail binary.  Instead,
it'll just throw an error, so you couldn't have any default Portage
configuration to mail them somewhere.  The current default
configuration appends to ${PORT_LOGDIR}/elog/summary.log with qa, log,
warn, and error levels for every package that outputs any of these
classes.  If PORT_LOGDIR is unset, the target is
/var/log/portage/elog/summary.log.

> This goes in all my make.conf files:
> PORTAGE_ELOG_CLASSES="warn error log"
> PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM="save mail"
> PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI="a...@a.com smtp.server.address"
> PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILSUBJECT="package \${PACKAGE} merged on \${HOST} with notice"
>
> Yes, some packages are a bit spammy and this should be fixed, but in
> general it has prevented more headaches than it has caused.

This can't really be fixed in a good way, and I'd really rather it
wasn't anyway.  A [ -z "$REPLACING_VERSIONS" ] test is only valid in
pkg_* phases (and by PMS, REPLACING_VERSIONS doesn't have to be
defined in pkg_pretend or pkg_setup), and in many cases, using
REPLACING_VERSIONS in any way can be difficult to do correctly.  Using
the readme.gentoo eclass wouldn't be an awful way to go if it really
bothers you, but you could also use mail_summary instead of mail to
reduce the mail spam to 1 email per emerge run.

-Doug