On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 2:41 PM, Mart Raudsepp <l...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Ühel kenal päeval, L, 07.01.2017 kell 14:18, kirjutas Rich Freeman:
>>
>> Not all replies to gentoo-dev-announce should go to gentoo-dev.  Some
>> belong on gentoo-project, or maybe even gentoo-nfp or some other less
>> common list.  Hence the need to set a reply-to.
>
> 1) It is called gentoo-DEV-announce; there is gentoo-announce for the
> other stuff already.

Actually, gentoo-dev-announce is completely appropriate for things
like Council meeting agenda notices (where discussion goes on
-project), or elections, and so on.  Not all of it is purely
development-related.

> Thanks for the history lesson. It is interesting you know that stuff
> about that this was on -core prior to -dev-announce, considering you
> became a developer in December 2007, while gentoo-dev-announce was
> created in July 2007 and the last rites have went there since then.
> (And I have sent last rites since early 2007 at least). Though I'm
> pretty sure this information about last rites to -core is wrong, but my
> memory fades and my old -core is archived up somewhere offline :D

Lastrites were on -dev previously I believe.

Many years ago over-use of -core was one of our larger hot-button
topics, and a lot of effort was made to move this sort of traffic
elsewhere.  A lot of it pre-dates my time on the Council.  I don't
personally have archives of what was on -core prior to becoming a dev,
but there had been plenty of discussion around it in general and of
course correct mailing list topics was a subject for new dev quizzes
and such way back then as well.  Gentoo tends to have flares of drama
every couple of years and there had been a bit of a changing of the
guard right before I became a dev, though I was fairly involved well
before then as an AT and general user (think Duncan, who goes back
probably about as far, perhaps further).

As with today a lot gets said in private that doesn't make it onto the
lists, so list archives only really tell part of the story, though
again as with today you can read a lot of it between the lines.

--
Rich