Mike Gilbert <flop...@gentoo.org> writes:

> Regarding the PATH/gcc-config change, I'm thinking it would make more
> sense to drop the env -i command than to add to he list of special
> variables we pass through to it.

All the env -i has been introduced in this commit by vapier in 2005:

https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo/historical.git/commit/?id=a8a64d1886cc5c9f975353b97237f2900a3ee88c

"clean up/simplify the gcc-config and fix_libtool_files logic". The
reasonale was "clean-up".

"ROOT=${ROOT}" was added in 2007 by vapier,

https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo/historical.git/commit/?id=7d9f89700a2ee50674c0d871ec6d21b468ac6206

"cleanup gcc-config logic so that it doesnt matter what the ROOT value
is". The reasonale was "cleanup gcc-config logic"

So, from the two historical commits, it is safe to drop env -i without
breaking anything sacred.

Benda