On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 10:40:15 -0500
Mike Gilbert <flop...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> The content of gentoo-news.git should already be covered by the
> detached signatures that are required to be present for each file.
> What is the benefit to requiring the commits themselves be signed?

Oh, I didn't know about those file signatures. But I think signing the
commits would make sense nonetheless, as this offers some advantages:

* Commit signatures are easy to verify: Everyone who is interested in
  verifying their /usr/portage image will already have an infrastructure
  in place to verify commit signatures, because that's how things are
  done for repo/gentoo.git.

* The detached news signatures are nontrivial to verify (in an
  automated fashion): Just looping over all news files in the repo and
  verifying their signatures is not an option, because some of the
  signatures on older news items can't be verified anymore (expired
  keys, signatures by retired devs, etc.). Hence, one will have to
  write some code to verify just the new news items introduced after a
  git pull.

* Commit signatures have slightly better security guarantees: If we
  only verify the detached signatures, attackers can still mess around
  with the commit graph; in particular, an MITM attacker could silently
  drop some of the news during a pull. With commit signatures, the only
  way for the attacker to achieve this is to pretend there aren't any
  new commits at all (something the user would probably notice after a
  while).

At the same time, I don't see any disadvantages to requiring commit
signatures; does anyone else?

Regards,
Luis Ressel