On Jan 09 09:30:11, ike...@gentoo.org wrote:
> Hiya Jan,
>
> The following snippet from Ingo is correct:
>
> > So, you want to hear something constructive?  Your best option is to
> > just decompress that stuff on your system.  (Gentoo is famous for
> > its excessive configurability - maybe there is even an option?)
>
> We are both famous for our excessive configurability and there is even
> an option already!  5:)  If you look in the manpage (once you've
> decompress it somewhere, or online at [1]) for make.conf, you'll see the
> entry for PORTAGE_COMPRESS, which you can set as follows:
>
> PORTAGE_COMPRESS=""

I am only a user on this system,
and have no control over which packages are installed
and have no write permissions in /usr/share/man/ or make.conf

> As mentioned in [2,3,others].  You'll then need to reinstall all
> packages.  If you manually decompress the files, then the uncompressed
> manpages won't be registered with portage and won't get removed if the
> owning package is uninstalled.

Also, the uncompressed manpage will not get updated
when the packages gets updated. I will have two copies,
a stale *.1 and an up-to-date *.1.bz2.

These are workarounds. Let me get back to the original question:
would you please consider having _uncompressed_ manpages as the default?

On this particular system, the bzipped /usr/share/man/ is 67M.
The uncompressed man/ is 108M. That's 40M saved. Seriously?

There is an option to support; the packages need to be reinstalled
or there are untracked files; the manpage formatter needs to call
external unpackers. All this to save 40M. I honestly don't think
it's worth it.

        Jan