> On 01/10/2017 01:56 PM, Bernard Cafarelli wrote:
>> gnustep-base/gnustep-make has a USE flag (libobjc2) masked globally in
>> base/package.use.mask, and unmasked on specific arches in
>> arch/{amd64,x86}/package.use.mask
>>
>> To get a stabilization (#579232) bug finally moving on, I wanted to
>> leave this flag out, adding a corresponding line in
>> base/package.use.stable.mask

So do I understand this correctly, there is:
flag in base/package.use.mask,
-flag in arch/{amd64,x86}/package.use.mask, and
flag in base/package.use.stable.mask?

>> But repoman replied with a batch of dependency.bad errors...
>> Does package.use.mask (stable and ~arch) have a higher priority on
>> package.use.stable.mask (stable only)? Bug or intended behavior?

> If I understand you correctly, then it's the intended behavior. If the
> flag is masked in both package.use.mask and package.use.stable.mask,
> then the package.use.stable.mask setting is irrelevant because both
> package.use.mask and package.use.stable.mask are considered when
> calculating use.mask settings for any given package.

I believe this is not correct. package.use.stable.mask should take
precedence within the same profile:
https://projects.gentoo.org/pms/6/pms.html#x1-58002r1

The problem here is rather that the base profile is processed as a
whole before the arch specific profile, so you end up with -flag from
the arch profile.

Putting flag in arch/{amd64,x86}/package.use.stable.mask should solve
it.

Ulrich