On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 09:06:33PM -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
> On 02/02/2017 09:00 PM, Sam Jorna wrote:
> >
> > Consider: a new user, coming from Ubuntu or Fedora or Windows, starts
> > building their system. They start installing packages they want, only to
> > find that half of the package isn't there because no USE flags were
> > enabled. They have to enable these flags for almost every package they
> > want because there's no defaults, you must manually specify anything
> > that's not a direct dependency or forced by profile.
>
> Desktop profile!!!!!!!!!! We have a desktop profile!!! Why is the base
> profile a better location for new-user-with-a-desktop defaults than the
> **desktop** profile?
>
> I'm going crazy. I give up.

That would also mean two commits when adding or removing a package with
any defaults - one for profiles/, one for the package itself - as well
as when flags change for a given package.

Also, how would this work with local USE flags as opposed to global
flags? Would they be acceptable to have IUSE defaults?

--
Sam Jorna (wraeth)
GnuPG Key: D6180C26