On 03/02/17 02:37 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
> On 02/03/2017 10:30 AM, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
>>
>> ok you lost me.  Could you provide an explicit example of what you
>> would want to see enabled in the profile (while everything else is
>> disabled) that you don't get when USE="-*" is set?
>
> USE="hardened pax_kernel ..."

ok, so global flags that are never modified via IUSE defaults.  It
still looks to me like all you need to do to get what you want is swap
the order of 'conf' and 'defaults' in USE_ORDER? (man make.conf)

> I don't want to turn off all IUSE defaults. Since we have no policy on
> what IUSE defaults should be used for, half of them are important, and
> the other half are junk. I don't want to disable the ones that are
> critical for the package to function, and I don't want to disable the
> ones that satisfy an (otherwise unsatisfied) REQUIRED_USE constraint.

And herein lies the crux.  "Junk" is your definition, but it's not
necessarily the maintainer's definition.  "Critical for the package to
function" is entirely dependent on what you expect to use the package
for.  If you want to disable everything optional then USE="-*" will do
that, and really all you should be losing is the ability to have
REQUIRED_USE auto-resolve based on the IUSE defaults that are set.
However, even in that case, it seems likely that you may well want to
use a different option to resolve a REQUIRED_USE conflict to ensure
your minimalist install than is the default that the maintainer provided.