On 24/03/17 11:19 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
Hi, everyone.

With a little delay I would like to announce that the eclass-manpages
package is now properly versioned, starting this Tuesday. Most
importantly, this means that users will no longer have to periodically
rebuild the package in order to get the correct set of manpages --
instead, the package will be upgraded in the regular motion.

The versioned packages use archived snapshots of eclass files. Those who
prefer the old mechanism can decide to unmask (via
package.accept_keywords) the live ebuild (-9999*).

While at it, I would like to encourage developers to create new
snapshots and bump the package themselves whenever they commit eclass
changes that could require updating the documentation. The ready command
set is provided in the ebuild. For completeness, I will paste it here:

  mkdir eclass-manpages-$(date +%Y%m%d)
  cp "$(portageq get_repo_path / gentoo)"/eclass/*.eclass
eclass-manpages-$(date +%Y%m%d)/
  tar -cf eclass-manpages-$(date +%Y%m%d).tar eclass-manpages-$(date +%Y%m%d)
  xz -9e eclass-manpages-$(date +%Y%m%d).tar
  scp eclass-manpages-$(date +%Y%m%d).tar.xz dev.gentoo.org:public_html/dist/

Then copy the ebuild and update your name in SRC_URI ;-).

This looks great!

To help manage this a little bit, what are people's thoughts on having the generation be a bit more automated? I'm thinking running the generator once per day, comparing the result against the previous day's result (and aborting if it's the same), and them bumping the package that way?

Having a single point of generation would prevent two people doing it at the same time because of changes to different eclasses.. Not that eclasses change -that- much, but..