Matthias Maier posted on Thu, 11 May 2017 19:17:51 -0500 as excerpted:

> In light of the recent discussion, I will restore the status quo for the
> pie use-flag: masked on non-hardened profiles, unmasked and forced on
> hardened profiles.
>
> The next step will be to switch the pie use-flag on default profiles
> from masked to unmasked/forced with a profile update.

For those of us who already have a default-pie system and now that we do,
don't want to go back, what's the prescribed override?  I've never felt
the need to override a masked flag like that, before.

(I'm sure I could find the general documentation and handle it myself,
but I'm equally sure that there's likely to be others in my situation by
now, and we shouldn't /all/ need to figure it out on our own.)

(As some may remember, yes, I do have USE="-* ..." set, so didn't get pie
with the initial gcc6 emerge and @world rebuild, but I was persuaded by
the discussion here to try it, second global rebuild, and so far it
works.  So both because it's supposed to be safer and because I don't
want to do now a /third/ global rebuild, I strongly prefer to keep it,
now that I have it, and no issues so far.)