On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 17:13:57 +0100
Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccre...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 18:07:00 +0200
> Alexis Ballier <aball...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > > The best way to convince me is through valid examples.
> >
> > It is also easier to be convinced when you try to understand and ask
> > for clarifications instead of just rejecting without thinking :)
>
> The problem with this entire proposal is that it's still in "well I
> can't think of how it could possibly go wrong" territory. We need a
> formal proof that it's sound. History has shown that if something can
> be abused by Gentoo developers, it will be abused...

Had you read the thread you would have noticed that I provided an
algorithm giving sufficient conditions for the solver to work. That
is, if developers pay attention to repoman warnings/errors, it will
never fail. Obviously, since we're still in the SAT space, you can
ignore the errors and make it fail, but it'll never be worse than what
we currently have.