On 07/07/2017 01:05 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jul 2017 12:48:04 -0400
> NP-Hardass <np-hard...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>
>> There is actually a huge functional difference between the two that
>> you are missing here.  A meta package defines its dependencies in full
>> dependency syntax.  This means you can specify versions, USE flag
>> dependencies, make packages dependent on USE flags, etc.  A package
>> set is just a list of packages (potentially constrained by version.
>> TTBOMK, there is no inclusion of any USE flag functionality in sets.
>> Additionally, let's say you have a more complicated dependency like
>> package set at all.
>
> All valid points, but there maybe times when such is not needed.
>
> You cannot really do any of that easily via a profile either. You just
> have packages file in a profile. You can use the other stuff, but I am
> talking about sets. Just as packages are listed in a packages file in a
> profile. Being able to list a package set, vs those same packages.
> There is no difference there.

Yeah, but I'm not wild about the prospect of handling some packages via
one method, and others via another.  Could you imagine if half of your
@system packages were broken up into subsets, and half were left as is?
The lack of uniformity would unnecessarily complicate things IMO.

>> I'm not sure I see the merit in pushing for package sets in the bulk
>> of cases for this reason.  Maybe there is some scenario where package
>> sets are a better option, but you haven't enumerated what that might
>> be (and I'm not really interested in brainstorming until I come up
>> with one, so I'll wait for one frmo someone else)
>
> Not sure I need to show a case example of where sets are better than
> meta packages. Its more I want to use sets and I would like to be able
> to include those package sets in a profile.

Then why are we in a topic comparing metas and sets? :P  Sounds like the
best thing is to change this whole topic into an RFC for profile-enabled
sets and file a bug report feature requesting it after getting feedback.

>> Of course, my sets knowledge is a little limited compared to some
>> people, so if something I've said about package sets is incorrect,
>> please feel free to correct it.
>
> You cannot remove all packages ( short of dep clean ) or re-emerge all
> packages from a meta ebuild easily. You can from a set.

This is two-tiered in both cases anyway, no?
Meta:
# Remove meta
emerge --depclean meta
# Remove all packages in the meta and their pulled in deps
emerge --depclean
Set:
# Remove set
emerge --depclean @set
# clean up all deps pulled in from the set
emerge --depclean

> Sets do have their uses. I think they are not used much for a variety
> of reasons, but likely could be used more.

Sure, but when the thread is "Sets vs Metas" it makes it hard to simply
"make a case for using one more than currently" since instead, you are
inviting a comparison argument, which, as I've said, I think fails to
convince.  Like I said, if your goal is simply to propose enabling
further use of sets, let's work on that, rather than get distracted with
a whole separate issue.

--
NP-Hardass