On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 15:23:39 +0100
Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccre...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 16:14:09 +0200
> Alexis Ballier <aball...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 13:01:39 +0100
> > Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccre...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> > > Annoying special cases like || ( foo? ( ... ) bar? ( ... ) ) . The
> > > original reason was that old versions of Portage would simply
> > > remove unmet "flag? ( )" blocks internally. It was kept in EAPI 0
> > > because stuff in the tree used it back then.
> >
> > Wasn't REQUIRED_USE something completely new with no prior usage in
> > EAPI 3 ?
>
> Yes, but the spec defines dependency-like structures and their
> meanings once and consistently, rather than all over the place and
> inconsistently.
>
> As much as I hate the weird || ( use ? ( ) ) and empty block rules, it
> would be worse to have them apply in some situations but not others.

Indeed, makes sense. Would it also make sense to have some more logical
meaning in a future EAPI ? I mean, in every context I've ever seen,
applying a rule to the empty set is the neutral of that rule, so that
it preserves associativity.
That'd mean: || ( ) is false, && ( ) is true, ^^ ( ) is false, ?? ( )
is false.

Alexis.