On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 02:23:56 +0100
Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccre...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 18:14:23 -0700
> Raymond Jennings <shent...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > If I may ask, does anyone have any profiling information one way or
> > the other to shed light on the situation?

There are profilers for python. Python devs can comment on such. I am
not sure about other things like looking for leaks etc. I was not able
to run python stuff through valgrind. At least I could not run
java-config through valgrind like I do with jem.

IMHO python all around is just not as robust and should not be used for
such purposes. There maybe ways to make it faster. For something with
the complexity, it should really be done in something more robust. Just
requires talent to make it such.

> Paludis does complete dependency and unused package tracking for
> everything by default. Any performance difficulties are
> implementation-related, not a fundamental problem.

I agree its a portage issue. Not saying anyone's code sucks or
discounting their efforts. Things do not have to be slow.

I mentioned this directly to some portage people in person a few years
ago during a meeting in Southern California... Around the time I put
jem on Github.

It is really hard to start over if/when that happens. Thus doing it
piece meal maybe easier. Though may still end up with spaghetti in the
end. Hopefully it runs fast and taste good :)

--
William L. Thomson Jr.