On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 10:58 AM, Andrew Savchenko <birc...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> But in some scenarios this command is normal. E.g. user installs
> Gentoo from some live dvd/flash, makes some mistakes, understands
> that system is broken beyond repair and decides to start over again.
> If there is no need to recreate filesystem itself or partition
> layout, running rm -rf / as above is quite reasonable.

Honestly, this is one of those reasons that I think the handbook
should be tweaked to use a container instead of a chroot.  That fixes
a lot of special filesystem issues and general makes things cleaner.
With systemd it is pretty trivial due to nspawn, but I'm not sure how
hard it would be to make this change on an openrc-based install CD
(presumably you'd need to include lxc tools on it, though a bit of
scripting with unshare is probably sufficient).

--
Rich