On 07/26/2017 10:05 AM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
> On 07/25/2017 02:28 PM, Michael Palimaka wrote:
>> Does a bug # really need to always be in the summary line? It can eat
>> valuable characters and tags which are pretty popular are equally valid IMO.
>
> I would prefer the summary to be informative without having bug ID at
> all. Summary should describe the change  ,not only "fixes XXX", the bug
> reference belongs in body (tags)

+1. I tend to add bug numbers in my summary, but it makes it very
challenging to put something meaningful into the remaining characters.
We already put 'category/pkg:' or 'dir/file:' for a prefix. Adding 6 or
7 characters to that already considerable deficit cuts ~15% of git's
recommended 50 characters, or 10% of our proposed 70.

Pushing this out to a tag -- and standardizing it -- will only improve
maintenance and speed up our onboarding process.

<bikeshed>
"Bug: xxxxxx" isn't my favorite since it requires tooling to actually
visit said bug (and doesn't clarify which bug platform to reference),
but a URL uses more bytes and infra may change. It's a tough choice, but
if we can find something that fits enough use cases, tooling shouldn't
be too difficult to write to make up for it. I already use a `bgo`
keyworded shortcut in Pale Moon to make bug searching faster; adding
another to navigate straight to a bug wouldn't be much trouble.
</bikeshed>
--
Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net