On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 9:05 PM, Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 3:44 PM, Alec Warner <anta...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 3:44 AM, Andreas K. Huettel <
> dilfri...@gentoo.org>
> > wrote:

> >> That's not feasible. It would kill off any semi-professional or
> >> professional
> >> Gentoo use, where a minimum of stability is required.
> >

> > So my argument (for years) has been that this is the right thing all
> along.
> >
> > If people want a stable Gentoo, fork it and maintain it downstream of the
> > rambunctious rolling distro.
> >

> What is the difference between forking the repository, and just
> maintaining a keyword inside the same repository, besides the former
> being easier to integrate into QA/etc?
>

> People who are interested in working on stable already do so, and
> people who are not for the most part shouldn't be bothered by it.  In
> the cases where stable has caused issues with maintainers the council
> has generally dropped arches from stable support so that repoman won't
> complain when packages are removed.

Sorry, to be clear the conclusion I was hoping to draw is that one has 2
repos instead of 1.

1) Rolling.
2) Stable.

Rolling is typical ~arch Gentoo. People in rolling can do whatever they
want; they can't affect stable at all.

Stable is an entirely separate repo, a fork, where CPVs are pulled from
Rolling into Stable. If Stable wants to keep a gnarly old version of some
package around; great! But the rolling people don't have to care.

> I won't say that having stable costs us nothing, but I think the cost
> is pretty low.  Asking people who want stable to leave isn't going to
> make things any better.

Nothing stops Gentoo (the organization / community) from housing the above
scheme in one organization. I mean, nothing but political will right? :)

-A