>>> Do we routinely confirm that any site we list in SRC_URI has
>>> permission to redistribute files? That seems like a slippery
>>> slope.
>>
>> We don't, and for a package that comes with a license (as the vast
>> majority of packages does) it normally isn't necessary.

> Why isn't this necessary?  How do you know the person issuing the
> license actually has the right to issue it?

Don't you think there is a difference between downloading a package
that has a known upstream and that is also carried by other distros,
and downloading a license-less package from a random location on the
internet?

>> The package in question doesn't come with any license though, which
>> means that only the copyright holder has the right to distribute
>> it. So I believe that some extra care is justified, especially when
>> the upstream location of the distfile has changed.

> Why?  We don't redistribute anything that is copyrighted.

Users download the file, and I think that we are responsible to have
only such SRC_URIs in our ebuilds from where they can obtain the
package without being exposed to potential legal issues.

> Are you arguing that merely linking to the file is illegal?  If so,
> then you better get the list archives purged.

Arguably, items in SRC_URI aren't even hyperlinks. And no, I don't
think that such linking is illegal. IANAL, though.

>> We don't know this for sure unless we ask the author. So whoever is
>> interested in keeping the package in the tree should sort these
>> issues out.

> Perhaps if we want to enforce a policy like this we should take the
> time to actually write the policy down.  As far as I can tell Gentoo
> has no such policy currently.

The old Games Ebuild Howto [1] has this:

| LICENSE
|
| The license is an important point in your ebuild. It is also a
| common place for making mistakes. Try to check the license on any
| ebuild that you submit. Often times, the license will be in a
| COPYING file, distributed in the package's tarball. If the license
| is not readily apparent, try contacting the authors of the package
| for clarification. [...]

I propose to add the paragraph above to the devmanual's licenses
section.

Ulrich

[1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Games/Ebuild_howto#LICENSE