Hello!

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 9:58 PM, Dean Stephens <desult...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 09/09/17 12:23, R0b0t1 wrote:
>> On Saturday, September 9, 2017, Johnson Steward <i...@jsteward.moe> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I've been messing with Gentoo FreeBSD these days and, finally, got to the
>> current latest version available. As upgrading is really a tiring process
>> (lots and lots and lots of bootstrapping the tool chain and bunches of
>> blocks in the current stages), I'm thinking of sharing my currently working
>> system as a staged for further testing for those who are interested.
>>> Yet I can't come up with an appropriate location for the stage4 to be
>> hosted. 1.4GB is obviously too large for a pastebin even if
>> bzip2-compressed, and consumer-level cloud storage providers like Google
>> Drive or OneDrive will create unnecessary chaos when trying to actually
>> install the system (virtually impossible to interact with that
>> JavaScript-based system within the FreeBSD livecd), and I don't have an
>> account for Google Cloud Storage or AWS either.
>>> Is there a suitable location to host such a stage? I'm currently not a
>> Gentoo developer, yet I really want my work to benefit the Gentoo FreeBSD
>> community.
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Johnson Steward
>>
>> Contact desult...@gentoo.org.
>>
> While I am willing to help people find suitable avenues for
> contributions to Gentoo; that reply, especially unqualified and coming
> barely half an hour after the initial post was made, rather strongly
> implies that I would be the right point of contact to actually get the
> stages hosted. That is simply not the case.

I realize there may be more suitable points of contact. I suppose I
can see now how that might be the case now.

> I would, at best, have directed them similarly to how robbat2 did,
> probably while lacking some of the details which he posted. Further,
> they were already posting on gentoo-dev, so they were inquiring
> somewhere that is virtually assured of reaching suitable persons.

I am not really certain as to the purpose of gentoo-dev, so my
apologies. Sometimes developers use it and sometimes they do not.
There have been technical posts which have languished before. I may
have been too quick to reply, as you have said.

> So, please, if you are going to suggest to others that they contact me
> to help them find a suitable point of contact, do not do so on
> gentoo-dev (as they have almost certainly reached suitable persons
> already), and make it explicitly clear that I would only be helping them
> find a suitable point of contact with which to proceed.

I did not think to clarify. At worst you would have gotten all of the
information up front and had to refer him to someone else. I can't
imagine he would have minded, but I apologize for taking liberties
with both of your time. I am only trying to help, sir. I apologize for
not being very smart. Some day I hope do accomplish something useful
but it seems a long way off. I pray for that day every day, but I may
have to wait until I go to Heaven.

Respectfully,
     R0b0t1