On 09/29/2017 04:53 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:

>>> Talking with Whubbs about it, I found that our service script only
>>> supports OpenRC, via rc-service. I looked around, and from what I
>>> can tell, most distros ship a service tool for all supported init
>>> systems. I.e., Debian/Ubuntu: supports sysvinit and systemd via
>>> init-system-helpers CentOS/Fedora: provides support for systemd via
>>> initscripts OpenSUSE: has a working service binary for systemd
>>> (according to #suse)
>>
>> There is "eselect rc" which could be easily extended to support
>> systemd. Patches are welcome. :)
>>

> ++
>
> Honestly, I could see the argument for having a generic "service"
> command because that is what everybody else does, but there is little
> point in arguing about the name of the file when nobody has bothered
> to write it yet.
>
> If somebody writes such a tool and it proves useful, we can always
> have the discussion about refactoring.
>
> To minimize list replies I'll tackle one of Duncan's points - he was
> debating whether you really need this vs just using systemctl.  The
> obvious use case is scripts that are intended to support multiple init
> systems - it makes far more sense to put the logic to figure out which
> one to run in one place than many.  If the runit users want to add
> their own logic they could.  IMO it would be potentially useful, even
> if you and I don't personally have much use for it.
>
> That said, the sorts of people most likely to benefit probably don't
> use Gentoo in the first place.
>
> In any case, arguing over whether it is useful is putting the cart
> before the horse.  It doesn't matter if it is useful if nobody bothers
> to build it.  If nobody has that much of an itch to scratch then how
> useful could it be?

Great points. It'll be much easier to decide on something when/if there
is something concrete to work with. There isn't much stopping a package
from making it into Gentoo. If there is demand, it'll be written.

--
Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer, Trustee, Treasurer
OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net