On 11/12/2017 10:21 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:

>>   * Change the PMS to remove "undefined behavior" and replace it with
>>     "empty directories must be tracked, and may only be removed once no
>>     installed package is using them," or something along those lines.
>>     That leaves the implementation up to the PM.
>
> How? Look up VDB entries of all installed packages? Note that this
> would have to be done for every dir that becomes empty, not just the
> ones currently containing a .keep_* file.

Not necessarily. I chose the "empty directories must be tracked" wording
to avoid that. If the PM were about to remove a directory that wasn't in
the database of empty directories, then it could proceed normally.

> What problem are you trying to solve? I see typically around 100
> .keep_* files on my systems. These are empty files, so they don't use
> any blocks. And 100 inodes system wide looks like negligible usage
> of resources to me.

If you're asking what problem I was trying to solve by leaving the
implementation up to the PM, then I was only trying not to be pushy. If
the "automatic keepdir" idea...

>   * Have portage call its keepdir code on any empty directories in $D
>     between src_install and pkg_preinst.

is workable and if the PM authors are fine with it, then we could spec that.