On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 06:02:12PM -0800, Matt Turner wrote:
On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 10:52 PM, Richard Bradfield <bradf...@fstab.me> wrote:
On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 11:24:24PM -0800, Matt Turner wrote:

Very few if any users. They break occasionally with new xserver
versions, and then I have to do the leg work to fix them, make the
upstream releases, and then push them into Gentoo. Again, for between
zero and one person to use.
x11-drivers/xf86-video-modesetting

I guess I should put my hand up and admit to being "the one user" for
this driver. I've got an ancient netbook with an Intel GMA3600, for
which there is no accelerated Xorg driver, which means I'm stuck with
xf86-video-modesetting.

You must not have updated in quite a while if it's still installed on
your system. The driver has been included in the xserver since 1.17
(with the appropriate blocker).

The driver's not going away, just the separate package :)

You would be correct! Have you any idea how enjoyable `emerge --update`
is on an Atom N2600? :)

I've gone ahead and updated the machine to Xorg 1.19.5, and depclean
removed the old separate package, thanks for the hint!