On Tue, 19 Dec 2017 20:11:04 -0600
R0b0t1 <r03...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I forgot most files were mirrored. So the infrastructure that is the
> answer to my question is already in place. Consequently, I don't think
> there's any reason to argue against this, unless it ultimately ends up
> being a ton of work to package small files (which I can't comment on).

Biggest downsides I see of pushing patches to distfiles mirrors is it
greatly desynchronizes the state of tree, similar to how you'd get
desynchronization if parts of gentoo.git were sharded into different
repositories.

Comprehending changes made downstream require additional steps and
additional tooling.

Correlating patch changes against ebuild changes is even more effort.

The only upside is it makes it slightly harder to abuse patch-reuse and
have unintentional retroactive patching to existing ebuilds without -r
bumps.

But ... that's a double edged sword if that sort of thing is
occasionally useful and sane.

I don't know what the solution is here, but I don't think either
strategies of "discourage it" or "encourage it" are the ultimate way
forward.

Some other strategy must exist. But for now, sensible limits are an
acceptable compromise.