В Чт, 18/01/2018 в 06:46 -0500, Anthony G. Basile пишет:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm trying to design an update system for many identical Gentoo
> systems.
>  Using a binhost is obvious, but there are still problems with this
> approach.
>
> Unless there's some magic I don't know about (and this is why I'm
> sending this email) each machine still needs to have the portage tree
> installed locally (1.5 GB) or somehow mounted by a network filesystem
> (which is not practical if the machines are not on a local network).
> Furthermore, each machine would have to run emerge locally to do the
> calculation of what packages need updating.

AFAIK each machine only needs "profiles" and "eclass" directories and
not the full repo. eclass dir is needed because of the check below in
ebuild.sh:

inherit()
    [[ -z ${location} ]] && die "${1}.eclass could not be found by
inherit()"

And this check actually should be skipped for binary packages. They are
already contain full environment.