Hi Michał,

Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org> writes:

> I don't think this is the first old version Prefix team needs keeping.
> Another example are old versions of LLVM.

I am sure you are aware that Prefix has two variants: one is
prefix-rpath targeting MacOS, Solaris, AIX, Cygwin, Interix and a subset
of GNU/Linux; the other is prefix-standalone, targeting GNU/Linux and
Android/Linux.[1]

For LLVM example, it is prefix-rpath, which hosts its own overlay at
repo/proj/prefix.git.  Besides LLVM there are other hacks at present in
the overlay.  But we still keep the ultimate goal of merging prefix.git
into gentoo.git.

What we are discussing in this thread, however, is prefix-standalone, it
uses the official gentoo repository without any overlay.  It works
perfectly for kernel-2.6.26+ and linux-3.2+.  So, creating an overlay of
2 ebuilds for prefix-standalone is an overkill.

Yours,
Benda

1. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Prefix